Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Immigration to America


Image result for the circuit francisco jimenez


Image result for the circuit francisco jimenez


The great wave of immigration came to America through Ellis Island from 1892 through the 1950s.  Though Ellis Island is now closed, the port of entry for most Americans is through our southern and northern borders, or in an international airport.

When I moved to Canada in 1984, I also went through the immigration process.  I was first given a green card, then I became a landed immigrant, and finally, because I was a school teacher, it was required that I obtain Canadian Citizenship after I taught in the schools for seven years.  I studied very hard for my citizenship exam.  Since 2001, I returned to the United States, but I still hold dual citizenship though the United States only recognizes by birth citizenship.  I was born in Salem, Oregon.

Students  in 9th grade will be reading a book through the first week of December called the Circuit.  It is by Francisco Jimenez and it is about a family of Mexican migrant workers and the obstacles they face as they work in the United States.  It is an outstanding book, a true story, and is an opportunity for students to gain empathy about others' experiences when they journey to a new country.  The family in the book comes to America "illegally" but we will learn how many changes have been made since then.  This book is not a political statement by me, as the teacher, but a window into many challenges that people face when they come to a new country.  Parents are welcome to ask for a copy to read---we have a few copies available for them to check out.