Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Hoover Dam

Before President Roosevelt took office in 1933, President Herbert Hoover was President during the critical early years of the Great Depression.

When I was growing up, my parents revered President Roosevelt.  However, I did know that President Hoover had grown up in Oregon, and was raised in Newberg where his home is still a visitor's center. 

One of the projects that began in the Hoover administration was Hoover dam, which was, at the time, the largest dam in the world.  It remains an engineering marvel. There was a controversy about the name:  though the original name was Boulder Dam, it became referred to as Hoover dam, in honor of the president who was in office at that time.  It was only in 1947 that the name Hoover dam was officially assigned to the dam, at it remains Hoover dam to this day.

Most of my students have not had an opportunity to visit it...and I only remember seeing it when I was six years old!  However, I guess the fact I remember it must have been a big deal!  I do remember the terrific height of the dam.  I was always terrified of heights. 

We were able to watch a video clip of Hoover Dam from the air, and it still looks spectacular!